Dr. Peter Kreeft: The Surfing Philosopher
UPDATE: Blackfriars Media pulled their documentary from Vimeo but you can now get it here.
Not many fans of Dr. Peter Kreeft, the prolific writer and Catholic philosopher, know that he’s a huge fan of surfing. Even at 77 years old, he remains drawn to the sea, compelled by its mystery and spiritual lessons.
He has published several books on the topic, including:
- I Surf, Therefore I Am: A Philosophy of Surfing
- If Einstein Had Been a Surfer: A Surfer, a Scientist, and a Philosopher Discuss a “Universal Wave Theory” or “Theory of Everything”
- The Sea Within: Waves and the Meaning of All Things
He also recently partnered with Blackfriars Media, a Dominican film group, to create a half-hour documentary titled The Sea Within: A Philosophy of Surfing. It’s a beautiful, well-produced reflection on God, surfing, and the ocean. Watch the trailer below:
You can rent the film online for just $1.99. And while you’re at it, check out other films from Blackfriar Media like:
- Napro: A Quiet Revolution
- The Art of Preaching (which contains never-before-seen footage of Fulton Sheen)
- Master of the Palace: The Papal Theologian
- Out of the Shadows: The Rise of Christendom